Open when letters are a match made in heaven for long distance couples.
We know just how difficult it can be to support your partner while apart. Whether it’s to help them through a difficult moment or to celebrate an achievement.
All you want to do is embrace them. Unfortunately, this isn’t always possible.
With open when letters, you have a way to ‘be there’ for your partner emotionally by telling them exactly what they need to hear and when they need to hear it.
But we don’t just want to give you different letter prompts to write…
We want to help you understand how your partner may be feeling and give you examples of what to say to have the most impact possible!
Below are some awesome ideas to help get your creative juices flowing. But before that, let’s make sure you have what you need to put together this amazing diy gift.
Open When Letters Shopping List
You may have some or all of these around the house! Here’s a list of the items you can purchase on Amazon:
- Colorful A7 (5×7) envelopes (most popular greeting card size)
- White A7 (5×7) index cards (thicker than regular paper)
- 8 pack of assorted color Sharpies (who doesn’t love a little color!)
Before we get stuck in. If you’re wanting to write letters to a friend, check out our dedicated ideas for open when letters for best friends.
Alright, lets go!
Impactful Open When Letter Ideas & Examples to Write
Open When You Miss Me
Missing each other is inevitable for long distance couples. Experiencing heartache and withdrawals is almost guaranteed to hit you both right after a visit. Sometimes it’s just a casual night alone on the couch making them want nothing more than you by their side.
As much as you may want to, you can’t exactly hop on a plane at the drop of a hat to cheer them up. But during moments like these an “open when you miss me” letter can go a long way.
What to Write
Reminding your partner how much you care for them, your commitment to your relationship, and a statement of your love can do wonders to lift their spirits.
Some examples of what you could write include a reminder that they are not alone in that feeling and you miss them too. You could also include a vision for where you see your relationship in the future. This will reassure them that you are committed to building a life together.
Is your partner is missing you dearly? Long distance friendship lamps are a subtle yet powerful way to let your partner know you’re thinking about them!
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You Miss Me”
- Open when you want to talk but I’m not around
- Open when you feel far apart
- Open when you feel the distance is too much
- Open when you are thinking of me
- Open when you need me to be there for you
- Open when I am not answering the phone
- Open when you wish I was there
- Open when you are thinking about our future
- Open when you are homesick
- Open when you are worried about our future
Open When You Need a Laugh
Life can be hard, stressful and anxiety-inducing. Sometimes all you need to cheer up is a good laugh. Especially when it’s coming from the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.
An “open when you need a laugh” letter is the perfect way to turn their frown upside down. This will not only make them smile, but also remind them that they can rely on you when they need a ‘pick-me-up’.
What to Write
Include something personal that has made both of you laugh. Like an inside joke, a funny memory you’ve shared together or a ‘one liner’ from their favorite TV series. Each of these examples further builds on your connection and will have greater impact than any generic joke.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You Need a Laugh”
- Open when you need a pick-me-up
- Open when you need cheering up
- Open when you want to reminisce
- Open when you want to hear a joke
- Open when you had a bad day
- Open when you are annoyed at me
- Open when you are having a rough day
- Open when you had a long day
- Open when you need a good memory
Open When You Can’t Sleep
We all have those nights where we find ourselves tossing and turning, wondering why we can’t shut our brains off and fall to sleep. Being in a long distance relationship can make these long nights even harder.
Whether your partner’s mind races over hypothetical scenarios brought on by anxiety related to the distance, or is simply burnt out from work. You have an opportunity to be with them from afar and help put their mind at ease.
What to Write
Though you may not be able to cure their insomnia, a midnight love note will remind them that you can’t wait to be sleeping next to them for good. You could include a sentimental story of a relaxing time you spent together or a method that helps you get to sleep quickly.
An intimate message could also do the trick! Why not include a sexy anecdote about other reasons they wouldn’t be sleeping if you were there.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You Can’t Sleep”
- Open when you’re going to bed
- Open when you are nervous about the future
- Open when you can’t go back to sleep
- Open when you feel anxious in bed
- Open when you have a long night ahead of you
Intimate Open When Letter Ideas
- Open when you are horny
- Open when you want to have some fun
- Open when you want to be turned on
- Open when you feel kinky
- Open when you are feeling romantic
- Open when you are feeling naughty
Open When You’re Sad
Whether it is from a traumatic event or just a day where you’ve struggled, sadness is part of everyday life. However, the right words from an important person can help alleviate some of those blues.
Especially when that encouragement is from their partner.
What to Write
Reminding your partner that it is totally fine to feel sad, but you are there for them through it all is a wonderful way to show your support from afar.
Real relationships push through many sad times. Including a reminder that you believe in them and are there to listen, as well as validating their own worth are all examples of how to positively support someone during these moments.
If your partner is going through a tough time due to a specific event or circumstance, you could create letters that are directly related to helping them through these situations.
Feeling sad and don’t know where to turn? Check out our article on science backed ways to deal with long distance relationship depression.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You’re Sad”
- Open when you need to smile
- Open when you feel like no one cares
- Open when you feel like a failure
- Open when you feel depressed
- Open when you feel like crying
- Open when you feel like the whole world is against you
- Open when you have had a bad day
- Open when you feel worthless
- Open when you need to be loved
- Open when you need a compliment
- Open when you feel discouraged
Open When You’re Happy
We know it is important to be there for your partner when they are having a hard time. But being there for them when they are loving life is just as crucial.
Whether your partner is celebrating an achievement, just experienced a thrilling event, or simply had a great night out with friends, your support even in their happy moments will mean the world to them.
What to Write
Let them know how their happiness positively impacts you. Does your partner’s happiness make you feel proud and happy for them? Do you find your partner’s happiness beautiful, handsome, or sexy? Put it in writing.
Letting your partner know that you want them to be happy helps both of you grow together. Sharing your happiness while apart can melt away the miles, while reinforcing that they can rely on you for support, no matter what.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You’re Happy”
- Open when you feel excited
- Open when you deserve happiness
- Open when you feel like laughing
- Open when hanging out with your friends
- Open when you graduate
- Open when it’s your birthday
- Open when you’re having a good day
- Open when you feel fancy
- Open when you accomplish [a goal]
Open When You Need Motivation
When life gets overwhelming, your partner may need a bit of help staying motivated. Letting them know just how proud you are of them or just how excited you are to see them working on their goals could be the kick in the butt they need.
But you do need to know what styles of motivation your partner will react positively to.
What to Write
Does your partner need to hear how proud you are of them? Do they respond better to a gentle nudge with love? Or do they need you to push them to work? Do they want a kick-in-the-butt to get going?
Understanding what your partner needs to hear is important in “open when you need motivation” letters. Some people just need love to get motivated, like a kind word or show of support. Others need to be called out on their procrastination with a little tough love.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You Need Motivation”
- Open when you need a pep-talk
- Open when you need a confidence boost
- Open when you are procrastinating
- Open when you feel like giving up
- Open when you need to make a decision
- Open when you need inspiration
- Open when you’re stressed
- Open when you don’t feel confident
- Open when you are feeling lost
Open When You’re Stressed
In a long distance relationship, it can be difficult to see how stress manifests itself within your partner. If your partner is able to acknowledge how they’re feeling, having an “open when you’re stressed” letter to open could help put their mind at ease.
Stress has the ability to put unnecessary strain on the relationship, which can lead to situations where you lash out at each other or completely shut one another out. The right message can help you give your partner composure, encouragement and time when it feels like they have none.
What to Write
Your letter can specifically address the stressful moments in your partner’s life if you know them ahead of time. Or it can be a more general letter letting them know you believe in them and adding strategies to help deal with the stress.
Either way, your response should remind your partner the stressful times won’t last and that it doesn’t define them or your relationship.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You’re Stressed”
- Open when you are nervous
- Open when you need reassurance
- Open when you have a bad day
- Open when you feel under pressure
- Open when you are worried about the future
- Open when you feel unappreciated
- Open when you are feeling insecure
- Open when you need to rant
- Open when you are scared
- Open when you feel sick
Open When You Need a Hug
The lack of intimacy and physical touch can be one of the hardest parts of a long distance relationship. Sometimes a video call just won’t do when all your partner wants is their arms wrapped around you.
While open when letters might not make up for the distance, it can break up the monotony of nights when they want to hold you tight. Plus, it gives you the unique opportunity to express your and their need to be physically close in writing.
What to Write
When we break down what wanting a hug means, it comes down to the desire to be comforted and reassured.
You have the opportunity to tell them that whatever they are going through, you will be there to help. Reassure them that you love them and would do anything to be able to hug them in that very moment. And while you may not be able to offer a physical hug, you can lend an ear.
Unfortunately we can’t send hugs through the mail, but the next best thing may just be long distance touch bracelets that produce physical-like touch from afar. Check out our post where we compared the best options for long distance couples.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You Need a Hug”
- Open when you feel overwhelmed
- Open when you don’t feel loved
- Open when you need some encouragement
- Open when you need courage
- Open when you are doubting yourself
Open When You’re Bored
We can guarantee an “open when you’re bored” letter will be well received because who doesn’t know what to do from time to time?!
To be honest, it might be worth including more than one.
Whether your partner is going it alone on the couch or has found themselves with an empty calendar and doesn’t know what to do. Your goal is to simply try and alleviate that boredom!
What to Write
Let them know that they can rely on you to be there when they’re just twiddling their thumbs. You could include a special word for them to use so you know exactly how they’re feeling.
Suggestions of things to do will also work well. Why not send them on a mission to find things to do and see the next time you’re together. Another option is to recommend a list of books, movies and albums that you enjoy, which will help them get to know you better on another level.
This is also another prompt where you could be a little cheeky and include something intimate!
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You’re Bored”
- Open when you have nothing going on
- Open when you want to take a trip down memory lane
- Open when you want to learn something about me
- Open when you just want to open a letter
- Open when you want to know a secret
- Open when you feel like it
- Open when you want to know what I want most
- Open when you need a change
Open When You Feel Lonely
Whether you’ve recently left each other after an amazing visit or time between visits feels like an eternity.
There will be moments of loneliness.
An “open when you feel lonely” letter may not be able to give your partner any physical reassurance. But it will remind them that they are loved and not just by you!
What to Write
While you could let your partner know that you’re always available to talk, no matter what time of the day or night. You should also be challenging them to reach out to friends and family.
Interacting with other people helps reduce feelings of loneliness. You could suggest starting a new hobby or picking up an old one that helps you connect with other people.
Don’t forget to include how you deal with loneliness and that there will be a time when you will never have to say goodbye to each other ever again.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When You Feel Lonely”
- Open when you feel insecure
- Open when you want a kiss
- Open when you need me
- Open when you’re upset
- Open when you feel distant
- Open when you need to know someone cares
- Open when you want to feel my love
- Open when you feel defeated
- Open when you want to know my dreams for our future
- Open when you need to hear a friendly voice
Open When I’m Mad at You
Just like any platonic relationship, there will be situations that end with you and your partner being mad and frustrated with one another.
It’s important to foster healthy communication and learn to grow together even in the midst of a fight. But the distance and time zones can make it harder to talk and work things out.
Putting your feelings into words well before you are seeing red, can help during these tense times.
What to Write
This is the perfect time to remind them that although you may be fighting, your relationship is worth fighting for. Tell them that these intense moments happen because you both care about each other and the situation you’re in.
You won’t necessarily know why either one of you is frustrated at the other. But you can talk about how you will work through it to find a solution that helps strengthen your bond.
This way, despite the tension, your partner will be reminded that you will both get through it and there is no reason to throw in the towel.
Prompt Ideas Similar to “Open When I’m Mad at You”
- Open when you want to give up on us
- Open when you need to know I still love you
- Open when you have had enough
- Open when you need to talk
- Open when you need to feel my love
- Open when you want to rant
- Open when you want to break up with me
- Open when you need a reminder why we are worth fighting for
Now it’s Time to Write Some Open When Letters!
Which open when letter ideas caught your eye?
We think the options above are a great starting point. But there is definitely room to add others prompts that center around unique parts of your relationship. Ask yourself:
What things does my partner do or is into that I can incorporate open when letters around?You!
Some examples could be:
- If they play sports, create a letter to open for encouragement before a big game.
- If they volunteer, write a letter to show how proud you are of them.
The options are endless! But before you do kick off, here are some final points to consider.
Open When Letter Rules to Follow
- Of course, include an “open when you get this letter” letter with instructions!
- Include a complete list so your partner knows each prompt and can find them easily.
- Make sure to tell them to let you know when they open a letter.
- Adding other items, such as photos, can enhance the open when letter experience.
SECURE YOUR SPOT!
Unlock better date nights, deeper communication plus a stronger intimate & emotional connection.